Monday 17 November 2014

FUR FUR FUR, I JUST CAN'T SAY NO

I'd like to start off by saying it's definitely all about the faux. I have recently converted to vegetarianism and although I have never actually bought any real fur in the past, I must confess that I do own a pair of chinchilla lined gloves and a mink hat; both of which were passed down from my great great grandmother so I feel like it would be a waste of a life to leave them unloved in the attic somewhere. New fur however, definitely not.

pink purple and blue faux fur fabric texture



I have always had a slight obsession with faux fur in every form; coats, mittens, hats, cushions, blankets - I love it all. It's the only fabric I've found that I can wear during long train/bus/car journeys and spend the time hugging myself and nobody looks at me funny because they understand. The softness is real.

Fur of all sorts has been on the catwalk and the high street in abundance recently and don't think I haven't noticed. Shrimps' S/S15 collection at London Fashion Week back in September kicked things off with piles of the stuff bouncing off the models in a large array of colours. As soon as I saw that show I knew that this was a trend made for me.

Shrimps at London Fashion Week 2014 three women wearing yellow, pink and cream fur garments
Shrimps at London Fashion Week 2014

On the high street at the moment there have been many fur pieces around in a nice selection of colours; much more variety than the usual cream, brown and black we seem to see every year. I spent a good couple of hours in H&M trying on this faux fur tshirt in the cream and pink colours and although I ended up opting for the cream (practicality took over - it will go with more things blah blah blah), I have worn it so much already that I am very tempted to go back and get the pink one too...

H&M boxy fake fur tops in cream and dusty pink colours
Fake Fur Top, £24.99 H&M

I also spotted this blue/green faux fur cropped bomber jacket in Zara and fell in love with it. Unfortunately it was a little bit out of my price range and I felt that I did not need another blue fur coat as I still have this one that I picked up in the Topshop sale a couple of years ago for £25. However the Zara jacket is a stand-out, investment piece which will last for years so if you have the cash to splash I would recommend it.

Zara blue/green coloured cropped faux fur coat jacket
Coloured Fur Coat, £69.99 Zara

For a subtle nod to the trend, try a faux fur accessory. The high street is laden with bags, hats, scarves and other furry delights including this incredible yellow clutch bag from Zara.

Zara bright yellow furry clutch bag with gold hardware and a black faux leather wrist strap
Furry Clutch Bag, £19.99 Zara

I also love this scarf from Misguided; the monochrome stripes makes it really versatile and a stand out piece even though the colour isn’t as bright as some of the other faux fur that’s around.

Missguided faux fur long scarf in black, grey and white colour block stripes
Wednesday Colour Block Faux Fur Scarf, £15.99 Missguided

And finally, this is possibly the most useless accessory ever but it’s SO pretty. And it keeps your hands warm. #MUFF.

Missguided grey/purple faux fur hand muff on a long gold detachable chain
West Faux Fur Chain Hand Muff, £10.99 Missguided

No comments:

Post a Comment