Wednesday 2 July 2014

WIMBLEDON THEN AND NOW

I must admit, I have very little interest in sport (the World Cup is really getting boring now that my sweepstake teams are out), but Wimbledon is one sports competition that I always end up watching each year. It reminds me of summer days when I was little, going out to the tennis courts up my road and playing doubles with my brother and our friends (this usually ended in an argument and someone crying). So, in the spirit of looking back in time, I decided to have a little browse on the internet to find some of Wimbledon ladies' best (and worst) outfits from the past and compare them to todays.




May Sutton Bundy
The first American to win Wimbledon in 1905, and she did it in style. She reportedly shocked the crowds when, during the final, she rolled up her sleeves to reveal her (oh-so-sexy) forearms. In her defence she said that the long sleeves of her very conservative outfit were just "too long and too hot". I feel you sister.



Gertrude 'Gorgeous Gussy' Moran
While the rest of her competitors showed up in the 'proper' attire of a knee-length (or longer) skirt, 'Gorgeous Gussy' earned her nickname when she arrived at Wimbledon in a short skirt that showed off her frilly underwear.



Lea Pericoli
This Italian was famous for her fashion choices both on and off the court. One of her most talked about outfits was this white, feathered, tutu-like dress that she wore during a Wimbledon match in 1964.



Anne White
An entire all-in-one white spandex catsuit? Why not, it was the 80's after all.





Venus Williams
Taking note from the catwalks, Venus was seen working a version of the sheer trend at this years competition. Although paired with a quite unattractive visor thing...



Maria Sharapova
Wearing a dress with a pop of colour hidden underneath is definitely a yes from me. Although apparently this is now not allowed at Wimbledon and all contestants must wear entirely white with no exceptions other than logos... Bit harsh.



Serena Williams
Opting for a headband rather than a cap or a visor (which just look silly really, don't they), Serena also opts for the pop of colour with her matching shorts and Nike tick. Add sheer panels on top of that and we have a winner.



Eugenie Bouchard
I would genuinely wear this outfit if I was a player of some kind of sport. 3/4 sleeves and a pleated skirt = a schoolgirls PE outfit dreams.


No comments:

Post a Comment