Friday 30 May 2014

PRETTY PSYCHEDELIC

I have to admit, my failsafe outfit choices are usually monochrome. I think there is something very classic and sophisticated about an all black and white outfit and I love that you don't have to think at all about colours clashing or patterns not working together. However, I have to get my colour fix from somewhere, and this is where accessories come in. I am a huge printed scarves person and I can't think of anything more chic than a white skirt, black top and an oversized scarf as a foolproof outfit, but recently there has been another printed accessory catching my eye... The clutch bag.

Lauren Lambert for Juicebox magazine.
Left - Kaleidoscope Clutch by Nicola Brighton, photo credit Rowan Southern.
Right - Holographic Clutch by Nicola Brighton, own photo.



Recently I helped out on a shoot for my university magazine Juicebox. The theme for the shoot was clashing festival prints and I fell in love with the multitude of colours and patterns that we found to photograph. We were also lucky enough to receive some beautiful, psychedelic printed clutch bags from a recent Surface Design and Printed Textiles graduate, Nicola Brighton.


Nicola's accessories (which you can shop for here) are beautifully printed using a variety of photography, drawing and traditional textile techniques which come together to give vibrant and colourful pieces. The bags are all made from a mixture of silk and polyester making them excellent quality but also hardwearing.

From left to right:
Tropical Large Clutch - £15 (in the sale!)
Aztec Small Clutch - £25
Jewel Large Clutch - £30
Palm Small Clutch - £25
And, at £30 for a large clutch, they are a steal for something so unique, especially compared to the mass-produced (and more expensive) similar styles on the high street.

You can find Nicola on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.

No comments:

Post a Comment